ABOUT ROSEBUD CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Conservation districts are local subdivisions of state government. Rosebud Conservation District (RCD) is funded by 0.88 county mills, entitlements, state and federal grants as well as income generated by district services and sales.
It is the goal of the Rosebud Conservation District to provide services for and to assist local producers in preserving and protecting land and natural resources for future generations. RCD is governed by a board of 7 supervisors, 5 elected officials and 2 officials appointed by the city of Colstrip.
RCD shares an office building (The Forsyth USDA Center) with the Natural Resources & Conservation Services (NRCS), Farm Service Agency (FSA) and the Montana Department of Agriculture (DOA). Conservation districts provide a link to many state and federal agencies.
THE HISTORY OF ROSEBUD CONSERVATION DISTRICT
On July 7, 1942, the Carterville-Thurlow Soil Conservation District was organized to help solve a drainage problem and to petition the Department of Agriculture for assistance to landowners through the Soil Conservation Service. The district at the time, covered an are of approximately 18,240 acres located on the north bank of the Yellowstone River and covered the entire Carterville-Thurlow Irrigation District.
The first supervisors were: William Lentz, Paul Bower, W.L. Quigley, R.P. Muri and Arthur Polich. The Soil Conservation Service sent J.F. Langendor to serve as Work Unit Leader (District Conservationist) and Leon Poitras was assigned as engineer.
Conservation practices were installed with equipment loaned to the district by the Soil Conservation Service and, in turn, rented to the landowner.
In 1943, the district expanded to include the Hammond Valley and acquired Otto Tulgestke as a supervisor. County Agent H.L. Dusenberry assisted the district.